Krishna Seva Forum Index Krishna Seva
Krishna seva sada kariya(Always serve Lord Krishna)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What an avtaar?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Krishna Seva Forum Index -> Shrimad Bagavatam
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jagdish
Tibari Star
Tibari Star

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shri Krishna,

A very nice flow... and to pickup from the above, we have also heard that as soon as Shri Shukdevji came out into the world, he left his parents house and went into the deep forest for meditation/dhyan/penances etc....

Now as Shri Vyasji was approaching his age (growing old), he was contemplating about passing on all his punji (all his wealth) to his son, who was the true heir to succeed his father.

Shri Vyasji tried many times to convince his son, Shri Shukdevji to return home but without much success, and Shri Shukdevji being in constant deep meditation, effectively did not "hear" the calls of his father or his disciples who were sent on a regular basis to find Shri Shukdevji and try to convince him to return home.

... how did Shri Vyasji convince his son to return home ?
Vasant Punjabi
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shri Krishna,

Little background on Ved Vyasji for the hint may help so here it goes

Shri Vyasadeva is considered to be the seventeenth incarnation of Vishnu who appeared in the womb of Satyavati through Parashara Muni, and he divided the one Veda into several branches and sub-branches, seeing that the people of Kali yuga, in general would be less intelligent. Originally the Veda was one.

But Shri Vyasadeva divided the original Veda into four, namely Sama, Yajur, Rig, Atharva, and then again they were explained in different branches like the Puranas and the Mahabharata.

"Shri Vallabh Shri Vithal Sukh-kari naa-me nishpap thai nur-nari,
------Nitya Lila nitya nautam shruti na pame par."----
Pushtidas
Tibari Star
Tibari Star

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jia Shree Krishna

What a satsang and what a flow of knowledge. Keep up the good work Vasnatji and Jagdishji.
Vasant Punjabi
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Jai Shri Gokulesh,

So this was your question Gopalbhai

We all r right that bhagwan Ved Vyasji wrote this ShriBhagwadji. But Why did aapshri write this granth??

Now how do you prefer the answer in short form or do I have to elaborate it (then I will be again going against the copy rights of ardent vaishnav Inaxibhen who has a very big heart for the vaishnavs so I hope she will escuse this assistant (vaishnav).)

Short form may be difficult to understand am I right Trushnaji?

Well, Ved Vyasji contemplated for the welfare of men in all statuses and orders of life. He saw that the sacrifices mentioned in the Vedas were means by which the people's occupations could be purified. And to simplify the process he divided the one Veda into four, in order to expand them among men. The four divisions of the original sources of knowledge [the Vedas] were made separately. But the historical facts and authentic stories mentioned in the Puranas are called the fifth Veda. After the Vedas were divided into four divisions, Paila Rishi became the professor of the Rig Veda, Jaimini the professor of the Sama Veda, and Vaishampayana alone became glorified by the Yajur Veda. The Sumantu Muni Angira, who was very devotedly engaged, was entrusted with the Atharva Veda. Romaharshana (father of Suta Gosvami), was entrusted with the Puranas and historical records. Thus the great sage Vyasadeva, who is very kind to the ignorant masses, edited the Vedas so they might be assimilated by less intellectual men.

Further, out of compassion, the great sage thought it wise that this would enable men to achieve the ultimate goal of life. Thus he compiled the great historical narration called the Mahabharata for women, laborers and friends of the twice-born. Inspite of having compiled such great work, his mind was not satisfied, although he engaged himself in working for the total welfare of all people. Thus being dissatisfied, sitting on the bank of river Sarasvati, he began to contemplate as to what could be the reason and just then sage Narada arrived on the scene. When mutual welfare words were exchanged Vyasadeva opened up his mind and spoke as follows: "Despite all compilation works I have done, I am not pacified. I therefore question you about the root cause of my dissatisfaction, for you are a man of unlimited knowledge due to your being the offspring of one [Brahma] who is self-born [without mundane father and mother]. Everything that is mysterious is known to you because you worship the creator and destroyer of the material world and the maintainer of the spiritual world, the original Shri Krishna, who is transcendental to the three modes of material nature."

I know Gopalbhai what you thinking that the answer is incomplete am I right Inaxibhen and Trushnaji? Yes but more will follow shortly in a day or two. (Suspense)

palna
CEO

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shree Krishna,

hehehe the suspence is cruel, but keeps us on our toes! And im 100% its worth waiting for!! Very Happy

JAI SHREE KRISHNA!! Very Happy

Palna na Koti Koti Jai Shree Krishna
Vasant Punjabi
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shri KRishna,

Thanks for the patience as its fruit is always sweet right Palnaji?

Well let me continue and hope Gopalbhai will add more to it.

Narada says: "You have not actually broadcast the sublime and spotless glories of Shri Krishna. That philosophy which does not satisfy the transcendental senses of the Lord is considered worthless. You have not described the glories of the Supreme Personality, Vaasudeva. Those words which do not describe the glories of the Lord, who alone can sanctify the atmosphere of the whole universe, are considered by saintly persons to be like unto a place of pilgrimage for crows.

Since the all-perfect persons are inhabitants of the transcendental abode, they do not derive any pleasure there. On the other hand, that literature which is full of descriptions of the transcendental glories of the name, fame, forms, pastimes, etc., of the unlimited Supreme Lord is a different creation, full of transcendental words directed toward bringing about a revolution in the impious lives of this world's misdirected civilization.

Such transcendental literatures, even though imperfectly composed, are heard, sung and accepted by purified men who are thoroughly honest." Nature has influenced different species of life with different mentalities, and it is not possible to bring them up into the same rank and file. Similarly, there are different kinds of literature for different types of men of different mentality. Mostly the market literatures which attract men of the crow's categories are literatures containing refused remnants of sensuous topics. They are generally known as mundane talks in relation with the gross body and subtle mind. They are full of subject matter described in decorative language full of mundane similes and metaphorical arrangements.

Yet with all that, they do not glorify the Lord. Such poetry and prose, on any subject matter, is considered decoration of a dead body. Spiritually advanced men who are compared to the swans do not take pleasure in such dead literatures, which are sources of pleasure for men who are spiritually dead. These literatures in the modes of passion and ignorance are distributed under different labels, but they can hardly help the spiritual urge of the human being, and thus the swanlike spiritually advanced men have nothing to do with them.

To be continued.

Vasant Punjabi
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Jai Shri Gokulesh,

Where are you Gopalbhai ? I thought you will complete it anyway what is this assistant for ? let me do the typing and I know you are busy with the Maha Utsav right?

Ok here it goes

Further Narada spoke " Knowledge of self-realization, even though free from all material affinity, does not look well if devoid of a conception of the Infallible [God]. What, then, is the use of fruitive activities, which are naturally painful from the very beginning and transient by nature, if they are not utilized for the devotional service of the Lord? O sage, you are firm in vow and situated in truthfulness. And thus you can think of the pastimes of the Lord in trance for the liberation of the people in general from all material bondage. Whatever you desire to describe that is separate in vision from the Lord simply reacts, with different forms, names and results, to agitate the mind as the wind agitates a boat which has no resting place.

The people in general are naturally inclined to enjoy, and you have encouraged them in that way in the name of religion. This is verily condemned and is quite unreasonable. Because they are guided under your instructions, they will accept such activities in the name of religion and will hardly care for prohibitions. Learned circles have positively concluded that the infallible purpose of the advancement of knowledge, namely austerities, study of the Vedas, sacrifice, chanting of hymns and charity, culminates in the transcendental descriptions of the Lord, who is defined in choice poetry."

Narada herein was stressing this particular defect in the Vedic literatures compiled by Vyasadeva, and thus he is trying to emphasize describing everything in relation with the Supreme Lord, and no one else. Narada concluded by saying: "Please, therefore, describe the Almighty Lord's activities which you have learned by your vast knowledge of the Vedas, for that will satisfy the hankerings of great learned men and at the same time mitigate the miseries of the masses of common people who are always suffering from material pangs. Indeed, there is no other way to get out of such miseries". Based on Shri Narada's advice, instructions or suggestions Vyasadeva meditated upon the form of the Supreme Lord and engaged himself in this work. There is no doubt in saying that Narada stood as a spiritual instructor of Vyasadeva. Thus started the compilation of Srimad Bhagavatam after Narada muni left. On the western bank of the river Sarasvati, which is intimately related with the Vedas, there is a cottage for meditation at Shamyaprasa which enlivens the transcendental activities of the sages.

Gopalbhai and vallabhi vaishnavs are we clear now on Ved Vyasji's writing of Shrimad Bhagwad and the reason behind it?

Conclusion

In that place, Srila Vyasadeva, in his own ashrama, which was surrounded by berry trees, sat down to meditate after touching water for purification. Thus he fixed his mind, perfectly engaging it by linking it in devotional service [bhakti-yoga] without any tinge of materialism, and thus he saw the Absolute Shri Krishna along with His external energy, which was under full control. Simply by giving aural reception to this Vedic literature, the feeling for loving devotional service to Shri Krishna, sprouts up at once to extinguish the fire of lamentation, illusion and fearfulness. The great sage Vyasadeva, after compiling the Srimad-Bhagavatam and revising it, taught it to his own son, Shri Shukadeva Gosvami, who was already engaged in self-realization, which then was recited to Maharaja Parikshit. It is mentioned that Shukadeva was the perfect reciter and Maharaja Parikshit was the perfect receiver. Simply by giving aural reception to this Vedic literature, the feeling for loving devotional service to Shri Krishna, sprouts up at once to extinguish the fire of lamentation, illusion and fearfulness. The conclusion is that simply by hearing the Vedic literature Srimad-Bhagavatam, one can have direct connection with the Supreme Shri Krishna, and thereby one can attain the highest perfection of life by transcending worldly miseries, illusion and fearfulness. These are practical tests for one who has actually given a submissive hearing to the readings of the Srimad-Bhagavatam.

Ok . I hope this will be enough or do you all vaishnavs want me to continue please do let me know.

jagdish
Tibari Star
Tibari Star

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shri Krishna,

Vasantbhai, enjoying very much, please do continue...

we still await the prasang as to how Vyasji persuaded His son to return home and take care of His punji, and how the son learnt Bhagvatji, and how Parakshit Maharaj, got into a situation where he needed to call upon all the great rishis and sages to try and find a solution to his 7 day limit
Vasant Punjabi
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shri KRishna,

Jagdishbhai, your wish is my command I am happy to see you are enjoying it and yes I do love your Hasya Prasangs too so it is time for you to add more when you get time.

Continuation.

Shrimad-Bhagavatam as already mentioned is the natural commentation on the Brahma-sutras compiled by the same author. This Brahma-sutra, or Vedanta-sutra, is meant for those who are already engaged in self-realization. Shrimad-Bhagavatam is so made that one becomes at once engaged in the path of self-realization simply by hearing the topics. Although it is especially meant for the paramahamsas, or those who are totally engaged in self-realization, it works into the depths of the hearts of those who may be worldly men.

Worldly men are all engaged in sense gratification. But even such men will find in this Vedic literature a remedial measure for their material diseases. Shukadeva Gosvami was a liberated soul from the very beginning of his birth, and his father taught him Shrimad-Bhagavatam.

The synopsis of Shrimad-Bhagavatam was given before the detailed description under instruction of Narada. Shrimad-Bhagavatam is the science for following the path of nivrtti-marga. The path of pravrtti-marga was condemned by Narada. That path is the natural inclination for all conditioned souls.

The theme of Shrimad-Bhagavatam is the cure of the materialistic disease of the human being, or stopping completely the pangs of material existence. For the people in general the highest perfection of life is to cease from material activities and be fixed on the path of self-realization. Those who take pleasure in sense enjoyment, or those who are fixed in material bodily welfare work, are called karmis.

To be continued.

kavita
Tibari Star
Tibari Star

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jai shri krishna.

thanks for the nice stories and explanations. getting a lot of knowledge from this topic. thankyou.
Vasant Punjabi
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shri KRishna,

Thnaks Kavitabhen

Out of thousands and millions of such karmis, one may become an AtmArAma by self-realization. Atma means self, and ArAma means to take pleasure. Everyone is searching after the highest pleasure, but the standard of pleasure of one may be different from the standard of another. Therefore, the standard of pleasure enjoyed by the karmis is different from that of the AtmArAmAs. The AtmArAmAs are completely indifferent to material enjoyment in every respect.

The great sage VyAsadeva, after compiling the Shrimad-Bhagavatam and revising it, taught it to his own son, Shri Shukadeva Gosvami, who was already engaged in self-realization. A question may be raised that if Shri Shukadeva Gosvami was already on the path of self-realization, he was pleased with himself, then why did he take the trouble of studying the vast literature again. Srila Shukadeva Gosvami had already attained that stage, and still he was attracted to undergo the trouble of studying the great Bhagavatam literature. This means that Srimad-Bhagavatam is a postgraduate study even for the AtmArAmAs, who have surpassed all the studies of Vedic knowledge.

All different varieties of AtmArAmAs [those who take pleasure in atma, or spirit self], especially those established on the path of self-realization, though freed from all kinds of material bondage, desire to render unalloyed devotional service unto Shri Krishna. This means that the Lord possesses transcendental qualities and therefore can attract everyone, including liberated souls. This attraction for the service of the Lord progresses in different stages. Practice of devotional service in the material field is of many different qualities, and above such activities is the transcendental practice of devotional service, which is one and is called sadhana-bhakti. When unalloyed practice of sadhana-bhakti is matured into transcendental love for the Lord, the transcendental loving service of the Lord begins gradually developing into nine progressive stages of loving service under the headings of attachment, love, affection, feelings, affinity, adherence, following, ecstasy, and intense feelings of separation.

to be contd ...

unnati
CEO

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject: shrimad bhagwatam Reply with quote

JAI JAI SHRI GOKULESH TO ALL VAISHNAV'S

I WOULD LIKE TO GIVE A SHORT BACK GROUND OF VEDANT.

1) VEDVYAS WAS THE FIRST EDITOR OF VEDA.
BHAGWAT PURAN IS CONSIDERED AS AN A IMPORTANT PURAN AMONGST ALL.

"BHAGWAT MAKES MAN TO MAN OF GOD"

2)VEDVYAS DIVIDED VEDA IN TO 4 AND GAVE IT TO DIFFERENT SEERS.

EACH VEDA HAS DIFFERENT BRANCHES. THEY ARE:

• Rigveda - There are 21 branches.

• Yajurveda - There are 109 branches.
It is further divided in to 2:
a) Shukla Yajurveda

b) Krishna Yajurveda.

• Samaveda - There are 1000 branches.

• Atharvaveda - There are 50 branches.

3)AND THE VEDA GIVEN TO 4 DIFFERENT SEERS WERE:

• Rigveda - Paeil Muni

• Yajurveda - Vaishampayan Muni

• Samaveda - Jaimini Muni

• Atharvaveda - Sumantu Muni

4)SHRIMAHAPRABHUJI SAYS SRIMAD BHAGWAT IS THE SAMADHI BHASHYA OF VYASAJI. AFTER WRITING ALL THE PURANS VYASJI WAS NOT SATISFIED WITH HIS WORK. THAT TIME HE BOUGHT BHAKTI BHAV IN HIS HEART AND STARTED WRITING ON SRIMAD BHAGWAT. AFTER WRITING BHAGWAT HE GOT PEACE AND FELT SATISFIED WITH HIS WORK.

5)ALSO A SHORT SUMMARY ON BHAGWAT IS;

The Shrimad Bhagwat is one of the most sacred books of the Hindus. It gives a tremendous insight, a profound vision, and an entirely new perspective to the person who hears the narrative. On hearing, a person is never the same. There is a complete metamorphosis, a complete transformation, literally a new birth. Atman (soul) by its own nature is sovereign – it cannot by nature be bound – whatever bondages felt are sheer illusions of the mind. Shrimad Bhagwat provides that light which enables Jeeva (human being) to experience the wonderful freedom of liberation. One feels, "Yes, I am free!" Shrimad Bhagwat expresses this philosophy through the narration of the life stories of 24 incarnations of Lord Vishnu. Amongst these, the tenth volume of the Shrimad Bhagwat narrates in infinite detail, the story of Lord Krishna. Since all 24 incarnations are of Lord Vishnu, it is a vitally important scripture for the Vaishnavites.

This book relates the story of the Lord and His Incarnations since the earliest records of the Vedic history. It is verily the Krishna-Bible of the Hindu-universe. The Bhagavata Geeta compares to it like the sermon on the mountain by Lord Jesus to the full Bible. It has 18.000 verses and consists of 12 books also called cantos. These books tell the complete history of the Vedic culture with the essence of all its classical stories called Purana and includes the cream of the Vedic knowledge compiled from all the literatures as well as the story of the life of Lord Krishna in full (canto 10). It tells about His birth, His youth, and all His wonderful proofs of His divine nature and the superhuman feats of defeating all kind of demons up to the great Mahabharata war at Kurukshetra.

UNNATI KADAKIA
jagdish
Tibari Star
Tibari Star

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shri Krishna,

to pickup a little from where we left off... (Vasant bhai, if possible, please do continue)...

...at one time Vyasji sent his followers in the forests in search of his son, once again in the hope to bring him back so that Vyasji can hand over his wealth/fortune/punji to his son. He sent the followers with a famous shloka, which they sang... When the words of shloka went into the ears of the son, he immediately awoke from his meditation/samadhi. Such was the divine nature of the shloka.
He, then asked the followers what they were singing and where did they learn this from ? To this they replied that their teacher had taught them this and said words to the effect... "theres plenty more where this came from"
jagdish
Tibari Star
Tibari Star

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shri Krishna,

From my limited recollection and understanding, the Shloka was from the famous part of Bhagvatji called, Venu Geet (Song from Shri Krishnas Flute) ...

Barha Pidam, Natvara Vapuh
Karnayo Karni Karam
Bibhrada Vasah, Kanaka kapisham
Vaijayantim Ch-Malam
Randhran-Venur-adhara Sudhaya
Purayan gopa-Vrundaihi
Vrndaranyam Sva-pada Ramanam
Pravishad Geeta-Kirti

and thus the famous son, Shri Shukdevji obtained His father, Shri Vyasji's fortune (Punji), which was Shrimad Bhagvatji.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Krishna Seva Forum Index -> Shrimad Bagavatam All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: