Krishna Seva Forum Index Krishna Seva
Krishna seva sada kariya(Always serve Lord Krishna)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tamas, Rajas, Sattvik & Nirgun

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sital
CEO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Tamas, Rajas, Sattvik & Nirgun Reply with quote

Jai Shree Krishna to all Vallah Vaishnavs,

Could someone please explain the characteristics of Tamas, Rajas, Sattvik and Nirgun swabhav?

Thanks

JSK
Vasant Punjabi
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shri Krishna,

Sitalji this is a very vast subject but let me atleast start and maybe you have more questions and then I am for sure more vaishnavs will join and explain you.

Tamas goon is mode of ignorance
Rajas is mode of passion
Sattvik is mode of goodness.

So is this what you looking for? ( Source Shrimad Bhagwad).

Why are the living entities put into different material situations? Different individuals with different bodily features enjoy or suffer various reactions according to their past deeds. In this material world there are three kinds of activities — those in the mode of goodness, the mode of passion and the mode of ignorance. Because all people are influenced by the three modes of material nature, the results of their activities are also divided into three.

One who acts in the mode of goodness is religious and happy, one who acts in passion achieves mixed misery and happiness, and one who acts under the influence of ignorance is always unhappy and lives like an animal. Because of the varying degrees to which the living entities are influenced by the different modes of nature, their destinations are also of different varieties. Just as by executing various pious activities one achieves different positions in heavenly life, by acting impiously one achieves different positions in hellish life.

Those who are activated by the material mode of ignorance engage in impious activities, and according to the extent of their ignorance, they are placed in different grades of hellish life. If one acts in the mode of ignorance because of madness, his resulting misery is the least severe. One who acts impiously but knows the distinction between pious and impious activities is placed in a hell of intermediate severity. And for one who acts impiously and ignorantly because of atheism, the resultant hellish life is the worst. Because of ignorance, every living entity has been carried by various desires into thousands of different hellish planets since time immemorial.

All the hellish planets are situated in the intermediate space between the three worlds and the Garbhodaka Ocean. They lie on the southern side of the universe, beneath BhU-mandala, and slightly above the water of the Garbhodaka Ocean. PitRloka is also located in this region between the Garbhodaka Ocean and the lower planetary systems. All the residents of PitRloka, headed by AgnishvAttA, meditate in great samAdhi on the Supreme God Shri Krishna and always wish their families well.

The King of the pitAs is YamarAja, the very powerful son of the sun-god. He resides in PitRloka with his personal assistants and, while abiding by the rules and regulations set down by the Supreme Lord, has his agents, the YamadUtas, bring all the sinful men to him immediately upon their death. After bringing them within his jurisdiction, he properly judges them according to their specific sinful activities and sends them to one of the many hellish planets for suitable punishments. YamarAja is not a fictitious or mythological character; he has his own abode, PitRloka, of which he is king.

Agnostics may not believe in hell, but Shukadeva GosvAmI and other authorities in the disciplic succession, affirms the existence of the Naraka planets, which lie between the Garbhodaka Ocean and PAtAlaloka. YamarAja is appointed by the Supreme Personality Shri Krishna to see that the human beings do not violate His rules and regulations. As confirmed in Bhagavad-gItA (4.17):

karmaNo hy api boddhavyam boddhavyam ca vikarmaNaha | akarmaNash ca boddhavyam gahanA karmaNo gatihi ||

"The intricacies of action are very hard to understand. Therefore one should know properly what action is, what forbidden action is, and what inaction is. "One should understand the nature of karma, vikarma and akarma, and one must act accordingly. This is the law of the Supreme God Shri Krishna. Along with the physical laws of nature, there are certain subtle laws too, which the scientists with thier tiny brains can neither understand nor will accept.

The conditioned souls, who have come to this material world for sense gratification, are allowed to enjoy their senses under certain regulative principles. If they violate these regulations, they are judged and punished by YamarAja. He brings them to the hellish planets and properly chastises them to bring them back to Shri Krishna

By the influence of mAyA, however, the conditioned souls remain infatuated with the mode of ignorance. Thus in spite of repeated punishment by YamarAja, they do not come to their senses, but continue to live within the material condition, committing sinful activities again and again. Some authorities say that there is a total of twenty-one hellish planets, and some say twenty-eight. All these planets are meant for punishing the living entities.

About the last one Nirgun (Nirakar) will come back later or will give chance to other vaishnavs to highlite same.

Jai Shri Krishna

"Shri Vallabh Shri Vithal Sukh-kari naa-me nishpap thai nur-nari,
------Nitya Lila nitya nautam shruti na pame par."----
Sital
CEO

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shree Krishna,

Thankyou Vasantji that was a wonderful explanation of the three modes. I have also read in the Bhagvad Gita that even if you reach the mode of Goodness (sattvik) you only get Moksh. It says you need to go beyond these three modes as in do everything for Thakorji. Apre Thakorji nu Sukh Jovanu

There was different types of gopi's who had the characterics of Tamas, Sattvik, Rajas and Nirgun Swabhav. Wanted to know more about how they were with Krishna using these different characterictics please?

JSK
Vasant Punjabi
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shri Krishna,

Let me say a few words on Nirgun bhakti as requested

NIRGUN BHAKTI. The devotion of Bhakti must be without any object in view and without any desires of fruit. It should be accompanied by Love with a view to serve HIM (God). It should be directed towards the Purshottam who resides in the hearts of all but not towards His incarnations. This Nirgun Bhakti has been established by Shrimad Vallabhachayaji.

For the examples let me give you the best one That uninterrupted and continious motion of the mind, towards HIM (GOD) Who resides in the hearts of all, free from the impediments created by the Vedas and Smritis. Like the flow of the GANGES (GANGA) which makes its way through mountains etc, and goes to the sea, is called Nirgun Bhakti.

Nirguna-Devotion: Devotion in Shri Krishna without having desire to obtain any kind of fruit and by concentrating mind in the Supreme-Being Bhagavan Shri Krishna is called Nirguna-Devotion. Nirguna-Devotion is also known by the name of ‘Ahaituki’ or ‘Animitta’ devotion. A wish to obtain any kind of fruit is called Hetu or Nimitta. Devotion in which there is no Hetu or Nimitta of any kind is called ‘Ahaituki’ or ‘Animitta’ devotion. Shri Vallabhacharya has preferably preached Nirguna-devotiona by the name of ‘Pusti-devotion’-- to which Bhagavan has considered as the best in Bhagavata Purana. Nirguna-Pusti-devotion is the best of its kinds. Narrating the excellence of Nirguna-Pusti-Devotion in Shri Bhagavad Bhagavan says: Though my Nirguna devotees consider my worship as the very fruit, do not ask for any kind of liberation from me. But when I bestow upon them liberation-- in the form of Salokya-Mukti, Sarsti-Mukti, Samipy-Mukti or Sayujy-Mukti with love, on my own accord --my devotees are not ready to accept any kind of liberation at the cost of my service. This itself is recognized as ‘Bhakti-Yoga’ of ultimate type and as independent fruit. By this Bhakti-Yoga the devotee becomes free from the influences of all the three Guna and attains devout sentiment as the final fruit.

There were few gopis who had this nirgun swabhav.

Hope it gives some idea on the topic of Nirgun.

"Shri Vallabh Shri Vithal Sukh-kari naa-me nishpap thai nur-nari,
------Nitya Lila nitya nautam shruti na pame par."----
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Krishna Seva Forum Index -> Satsang All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: